Monday, September 21, 2015

Letter from Michael 9-21-2015- Confirmation

This Sunday Immaculate was confirmed a member of the church and given the gift of the Holy Ghost. A less active member named Kristen came to church and also came with her boyfriend who we have been teaching. This was the first time that I saw the boyfriend, Richard, at church. They should be coming much more often now that they have a car. Renato, Dell, and Thendi also came to church. Dell and Thendi are on date for baptism on the 11th of October.

The Rugby World Cup is a huge thing here. Everyone is talking about it. Everyone is upset here that South Africa lost to Japan. Elder Hughes was quite happy to see that England beat Fiji. By the way there is a brand new greeny in my district. His name is Elder Vataiki who is from Fiji. He said last night was the coldest night of his life... poor guy... last night was nothing. He would die if he were sent anywhere with snow. The Bedfordview area split into two areas and so there have been some changes in districts. Our district is now only 4 Elders. It is just Alberton and Germiston. At least it will be nicer for call in reports on Sunday evenings. District meeting on Friday was about meaningful fasting which is something I needed. This transfer we are fasting 42 days for the purification challenge. Each companionship is fasting on a specific day for things they want to improve on to become more effective missionaries.
- Elder Johnson
Quote: "My people must be tried in all things, that they may be prepared to receive the glory that I have for them, even the glory of zion; and he that will not bear chastisement is not worthy of my kingdom." - D&C 136:31

Part of his letter to his dad:

Hey! Elder Hughes is definitely getting better. He can move his arm around he just isn't as fast.
Shame that BYU lost. It sounds like it was still a good game though.

Part of his letter to his mom:

Bishop Kirchman did the confirmation. I tried sending pics but of course the viruses prevented that. No we only fast one day but we all take a turn.
Yes, people were there to support at the baptism. Sister Sibeko spoke about the Holy Spirit and Elder Hughes spoke about baptism. 
One of them that went home is in my group. Elder hughes can shower because he got the staples out on Friday. He now has to go back in six weeks. I will probably be gone by then. 

By the way we saw an old investigator from my first transfer here. She came to drop off a package to send to her son who is serving in Durban.


More people from my first area, Polokwane, came to Alberton today. I saw them at church and Sister Koopa's place for the lunch appointment. Sster Koopa is also from Polokwane. I think they were just visiting her though. At Transfers I saw Elder and Sister Winward who were the senior missionaries in Polokwane. I got to speak with them and say goodbye. They got a picture with me but unfortunately I did not have a camera with me at the time. They plan to serve another mission soon next year.

Elder Hughes with broken collarbone and Michael Sept. 2015


Michael at September 2015 Transfers

More of September 2015 Transfers

No comments:

Post a Comment