Monday, October 12, 2015

Letter from Michael 1-121-2015- Eight Weeks Left

This week we did much finding. For a while my attitude about finding people in this area wasn't the greatest. Everyone we talk with is from somewhere else. Then I thought to myself as long as I am giving people the opportunity and at least finding for Elders in other areas than I'm doing some good and doing my part. It is about making the word of God known and building his kingdom. I must be prayerful and hopeful in all that I do as a missionary and good things are will come. We set up a booth last week and passed out many cards, pamphlets, and copies of the Book of Mormon. Hopefully we can teach some of them this week. Renato and Vusi were at church yesterday. Dell and Thendi are going to be interviewed on Thursday for baptism. 
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." – Philippians

The slip N slide P-day was loads of Fun. The zone leader that was next to me in the pic at the Dunn's home sprained his shoulder. He is in the pic the day Hughes broke his shoulder.

Yes, the interview was nice. He mostly talked about how I feel about the last bit of my mission and he also talked to me about my plans for post mission.

I don't know the dates of the letters but recently I received letters from you, one from Dad, and one of the DeDen grandparents. 

Dell and Thendi's baptism is on the 25th of October and the transfer is on the 27th of October. A long time ago I made a deal with Nicki Pasi. He gave me a South African soccer jacket for the weights. He really wanted them and I got them for cheap anyway.
Serving a mission has been the most important time of my life. I do realize that what I am doing is not just about me. Obviously there is a greater purpose in all of this. The focus of my mission is not necessarily about what I can gain but about what I can give. It is a time of sacrifice and selfless service to the God and his children on the earth. I have enjoyed seeing people change and develop testimonies of the savior and the restored gospel. I have learned that it is always worth keeping the rules and commandments that have been set and the importance of the role of the Holy Spirit in the work. If I don't have the Spirit I cannot teach.

It is interesting how serving God works. I can never be able to pay him back for all that he is done for me. I say this because every time I serve him or obey him he blesses me and my family so greatly. I once read a quote that said something to the effect, "If you give the Lord a crumb, He will give you a loaf." Sacrifice is something the I am grateful for and have understood better as I serve. We give up something important to us to the Lord for blessings of much greater worth. If I stayed home from mission I would lay up worldly treasures which will not last but my experiences and and blessings from serving a mission will be treasures in heaven where it will last forever. I came on mission with many weaknesses and even some fears. If I had never served a mission I wonder if I ever would have been able to over come them. I still have much more to learn and a long way to go but I know that I have overcome much in these last two years. I have strengthened my relationship with my Heavenly Father and have become a stronger individual.

 My mission has been the highlight of my life. I would not change this experience for anything in the world. I would encourage any young man that serving a mission is worth the short 2 years. If you serve the Lord you will never regret! I Know that there is God. I know him because I serve him. I have seen answers to every sincere prayer I have offered him. I have felt the Holy Spirit testify our Heavenly Father and our savior Jesus Christ. Anyone can know this if they become not just hearers of His word but doers of his word. I say this humbly in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

- Elder Michael Johnson

Part of his letter to his mom:
No, the temple trip was moved to Wednesday this week. In my studies I read a talk by Spencer W. Kimball about the apostle Peter. It mostly was about how Peter denied knowing Jesus three times but it wasn't the end for him. He was forgiven completely and was given all the keys of the priesthood. 

When asked how his interview with his president went, he responded:
I said it feels surreal to think that I'll be home so soon. It will be sad to leave South Africa and the mission but it is exciting to go home and continue on with life. He said he knows we are working well and he said I'm a good man. He told me that I have helped Elder Hughes with a lot these couple transfers.


Quote: "I may not always like to work, but I like what is in work, which for me is the chance to find myself and make a difference, for it is quite possible to work without results, but there will never be results without work." - Dick Plaistowe, SVP Sibanye Gold


Bishop Kirchman

Me/George/Edwin/ElderNovotny

The District: The Germiston Elders are in the back. (Elder Vataiki and Elder Morrill)
Elder Hughes and Johnson in the front

No comments:

Post a Comment